On Tuesday, Lokomotiv's president Ilya Gekus has told the press-conference the club has renewed a contract with defender and captain Vedran Corluka.
- We are delighted to announce a milestone event in the life of the club. Vedran Corluka has spent amazing four years with Lokomotiv. Now we hope that the coming four years are going to be even more successful. Vedran is a player we want to build the team around. A perfect man, a great professional, one of the best central defenders in Europe. We are glad he is going to be part of our club for another four years.
- Will this event be followed by further signings?
- We cannot disclose all secrets but we are working on it. The players like Corluka are hard to find on the market considering the FFP. But we have options.
- Were there any difficulties during the talks with Vedran?
- There were no difficulties. We quickly came to terms with him, he's really nice to deal with.
- You've been a president for just a week. Is this your first victory?
- It's the club's victory. We have done a lot. It is a right and anticipated move.
- I want to say thank-you to the new management and the president. The press have been writing a lot about my move somewhere but both I and the managemet wanted to continue our relations. I am very happy I am going to remain in this wonderful city. I hope I will play at Lokomotiv till the end of my professional career. The new contract is valid for four years, and after eight years at one club it is hard to play elsewhere, you know.
- There has been a lot of rumors around you. Did they confuse you?
- No. I posted it on Instagram I was going to speak about my future myself and the rumors were not trustworthy.
- You have made more than 100 appearances at Lokomotiv. What's special about this club?
- I'm having my best time and playing my best matches at Lokomotiv. In 2012 I had too little playing time at Tottenham so Lokomotiv gave me a chance. Now I'm making regular appearances for Lokomotiv as well as for my national team.
- You started playing in Croatia, then played in Germany and England. Could you imagine you would end up in Russia on an eight-year spell?
- Of course I didn't think about it when I was playing in England. But when Bilic called me I didn't think too long. By the way, it's interesting that my international debut for Croatia took place at the Cherkizovo arena ten years ago.
- After four years here, what's your opinion of our championship as compared to, say, England?
- It's difficult to compare the leagues in England and Russia. But the fans and players here should respect their championship more. The quality of play in Russia is very high and definitely not lower than in France. No team can be sure it would win the next fixture.
- How about your health? Will you be able to play against Krylya Sovetov?
- I've had some issues with my back that made me drop out of the general group for five days. But yesterday I joined the team again